On the Board since: 2018
- In May 2018, Karen Higgins was appointed to the role of Executive Vice-President and Chief Financial Officer (CFO) at The Co-operators. Karen had spent the last 20 years in progressive senior financial roles within the insurance and financial services industry, including the last 10 within The Co-operators organization leading a number of key financial initiatives.
- Karen joined The Co-operators in 2008 as VP, Corporate Finance. In 2011 she took on the role of VP Finance, Property and Casualty Operations (CGIC, COSECO, CUMIS General) where she led a team responsible for financial analysis, decision support, reporting and planning. In 2017 she took on the role of VP Finance, Life Operations (CLIC and CUMIS Life) where she oversaw financial analysis and valuation of the organizations, in support of business strategies, initiatives and operations.
- Before joining The Co-operators, she held similar leadership roles at Clarica Life, Sun Life and Seniors Money Limited.
- Honours BA and Business diploma from Wilfrid Laurier University
- Chartered Director designation from The Directors College
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA,CA) designation
- Successfully completed Harvard Business School’s Leadership program and Wharton Business School’s Change Management program
She is actively involved in her community as a board member (Vice-Chair) of St. Joseph's Health Centre Guelph and the St. Joseph's Health Centre Foundation.