Analyst, Sustainable Investing
Who we are
Addenda Capital is a privately-owned investment management firm that favours a sustainable approach to wealth creation. The company offers a stimulating, positive and open-minded environment where integrity, collaboration and diversity is valued. Addenda integrates ESG (Environmental, Social and Governance) factors into all its investment and stewardship activities to enhance its clients’ long-term performance and to promote sustainable development for society.
What is the Opportunity
The Sustainable Investing team is seeking a Sustainable Investing Analyst to help further develop the organization's sustainable investing vision as a leading Canadian player in this area. Reporting to a Director of Sustainable Investing the incumbent will help execute on Addenda’s four pillars of sustainable investing, namely the integration of ESG factors into investment decisions, corporate stewardship, impact and values driven investment solutions, and the promotion of sustainable capital markets.
What you Will do
- You are responsible for verifying the qualification of securities for inclusion into our impact fixed income, climate transition, and ecosocial commercial mortgage funds;
- You develop guidelines and best practices in new and evolving impact themes;
- You further develop the research and impact approach related to First Nations, Reconciliation and Indigenous Rights, community development as well as the reports related to the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs);
- You report on social and/or environmental impact outcomes to investment teams for client reporting;
- You stay current on best practice and industry developments in the green and sustainability-linked bond markets.
- You support the research and analysis on climate change and carbon emissions accounting;
- You assist with proxy voting by analyzing ballot items and related materials to ensure that votes are performed in compliance with our guidelines;
- You participate in corporate engagement meetings by identifying ESG topics, preparing research, and tracking engagement outcomes;
- You support Addenda’s work in promoting Sustainable Financial Markets including participation in various working groups such as Climate Engagement Canada;
- You assist with reporting and presentations for clients and for industry events.
What you will Need to Succeed
Experience and Knowledge
- You have three (3) to five (5) years of relevant experience in impact investing, sustainability, community development, environmental stewardship, promoting SDGs, or in reconciliation and Indigenous rights;
- You have an undergraduate degree or training in sustainability and/or community development;
- You possess knowledge of sustainable investment practices, impact investing approaches, proxy voting and engagement;
- You have an understanding of the sustainable development goals (SDGs) and the role the private sector and investors can play in driving positive outcomes on the ground across various SDG goals;
- You have an understanding of sustainability and climate reporting frameworks such as the SASB standards and TCFD framework;
- Additional Assets:
- Knowledge of the issues and landscape of reconciliation and Indigenous rights in Canada;
- Fluency in French;
- Familiarity with sustainable and finance software, such as Bloomberg, MSCI ESG, Sustainalytics, ISS and Glass Lewis;
- A post-graduate education;
- A CFA designation.
Skills and Abilities
- You have strong analytical and problem-solving capabilities;
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- You have proficiency with excel;
- You are a strong researcher and conveyor of ideas;
- You are an out-of-the-box thinker;
- You have a good sense of organization and the ability to manage multiple projects at the same time;
- You are dynamic, a source of energy, and above all, enjoy working in a collaborative environment.